Tuesday, January 18, 2011

In which, we reflect on whether getting Rachel a tablet was a good idea or not...


These proceed from earliest digital drawings to the most recent - but all of these take place during my junior/senior year of high school.

My mom really liked this one.

This one could have easily been left un drawn....but, for the sake of contrast with future, less horrid work, I included it. Gotta love a little Dobby.


One of my more honest self portraits. As is my habit when I become ill, I spend as much time horizontal as I can manage, and stick kleenex up my nose, because wiping it constantly gets painful.


This one I drew for Kristen, who was in the throws of an emotional love affair with Jane Austen's works.


Another Luna - all i can say is that I'm very glad this style didn't last.


Abby, in her crazy running mode...


Started playing with the eraser tool as a drawing tool instead of just a clean up tool...


Feel free to be amazed at my deep and psychologically fascinating subject matter. At times, its not about what you draw, just that you ARE.


Malificent, best Disney villain EVER.


...didn't anyone else ever think this?



Another HP, the scene in HBP (6) when Hermione is found on her own, transfiguring little birds because Ron's such a dweeb.


The way I wished that scene in the 7th book would have happened. Still experimenting with coloring and my people are still quite stiff and generic....but that's ok.


The 'underwater' quality of this one came out better than I expected. Sometimes, dinking around and exploring when you have no idea what you're doing CAN get you somewhere.


A seiries of 3 - Portraits of the Ladies of Hogwarts

Hermione, The Bookworm:

Ginny, The Mary-Sue (come on, we all know she's a little bit of a skank):


Cho, The Cry-baby:


I'm not entirely sure what brought this on. You'll probably have to click on it to be able to read it. Its pretty sad humor wise - and even sadder that i spent so long on it. After several hours, my program crashed and I lost pretty much everything. I should have realized that it was a sign, and that I should get a new idea.

...But no, I re-did it, and sloppily too, because I was tired of it.


Entitled "Ted Thumb" its a play on Teddy Lupin and the famous fairytale, and its more literal interpretation of the nickname, as well as practicing actual anatomy.


Just playing with some different tools and affects...

And BACK to HP art - I can never stay away for long, even now. This scene from book 1 is one of my favorites to this day.


A drawing I did as part of my portfolio for my first application to the illustration program. I think the concept could go somewhere, but I didn't devote nearly enough time to research - which would have made for a much better outcome.

I do love computer sketching. Even if it never goes anywhere, just creating characters makes me happy.


A Harry/Hermione friend piece that I was quite proud of...although their poses were relatively simple, they don't look as stiff as they have in the past.

Aaaaand some color! (notice the sad lack of background...my BG skills were (and still are) quite sad and limited)

Chances are, if we're fb friends, you've seen this one:

...but perhaps not the finished product...?


Last, the self-portraits I did to go along with my graduation announcement...which i also designed (because I forgot to order them from LHS :) ) A better realistic likeness than I'd so far been able to grasp...
If you stuck through all that, you're a champ, a trooper, and perhaps a little morbidly curious? Thanks for sticking around so far! Next post will be looking at fall semester 09 at BYU - with my sketchbook class, and a little bit of personal work.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, these are incredible! You are so talented. I am following this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Did you see your portrait in the first one? That one one of Stephanie's favorites.

    ReplyDelete