Wednesday, February 8, 2012

John-Wayne-Ropin' Cowboy, and my good friend Robert Fawcett

Ok, illustration 1, project #2 (i promise, #1 will go up once I fix stuff...)

The idea was to take a nursery rhyme and re-interpret it - give it a new context...

Tom, Tom the piper's son
Stole a pig, and away he ran
The pig was eat

and Tom was beat,
and went roaring down the street.


old english -meet western.

Which was a little surprising to me, because I'm not actually drawn to western art.

after about a bajillion and a half thumbnails, I called upon my good friend Nate (because he had cowboy boots/hat, and Anders - who didn't know what he was getting himself into, and took some stock photos!

Which (with the help of some pig references and facial distortion) i turned into this:


Then, realizing that John-Wayne-Ropin'-Cowboy was about to fall off that pig, I took some artistic licensee, made some alterations, and got this bad boy:



Which, all in all, I'm pretty pleased with. some adjustments must be made, but overall, I'm happy.

Also, I did another master copy (I use the term "copy" very loosely) of Robert Fawcett - one of his Sherlock Holmes Pieces.


The man was a master at shape design, composition and value clarity...I hope we at least chatted for a while in heaven after he died and before i got sent here. Because i think if i could be any artist, it might be him...No offense N.C.Wyeth.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE these. I really like that first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I'm glad you gave Anders a bigger belt buckle...and the pig is soooo much more interesting that the rock =) I also like that Anders had the good sense to steal a blue ribbon pig!

    As far as your master copy, it looks like an original to me. Also, I am pretty sure you hob nobbed with many artists in heaven. And I'm thinking they liked talking with you too!

    ReplyDelete