Buckle up, kids...this is going to be a long one... (a whole month of figure drawing to catch up on!)
I also did this face. Still pretty scary- but a slight improvement on the last set of faces.
But, I felt like I'd hit a brick wall with figure drawing and was missing somethign crucial.
So, I [did the smart thing, and] visited Brother Barett - head of the Visual Arts department and part of the Illustration faculty- and a beautimus figure drawer-ist.
The results are significantly less suckage.
Also, February 28th, something MAGICAL happened.
...WE GOT BOYS!
My friend, "Kaylizzle" and I stared at each other with identical expressions of joy and disbelief. Christmas, my friends, had come early.
The boys were both about 20 miles tall, and maybe a foot around...maybe.
It was ridiculously fun.
Not that I don't appreciate the girls who model for us - I think they're spectacular (for the most part - as a side note, haven't seen Miss Stick-Bug in a month!)
But having guy models have us a whole new experience!
And, let's face it - I'm a girl - I'm pretty familiar with the whole female body situation.
Males? Not so much.
MARCH!!!! [2nd] - in which Rachel decides to stop doing huge gestures...
...It helps.
This next one's a little freaky, I know... but when her eyes are in shadow and I only get so much time...i'm not going to waste it drawing tiny little eyes in there...
March 7th
This was a good gesture day. Which is a nice change, because usually my teacher looks apologetically at me before we start gestures (or revert to them during class time) because i tend to suck at them. But, I'm getting better.
I went into Professer Hull the next week after I talked to Barrett, and he said I can do gestures whatever size works best.
Which is good news, because this way I use less paper, and have decent results as opposed to pages of failure...
This girl can bend! She's one of my favorite models.
I like this next one... I feel like theres a story that goes along with it.
March 9th - The Boys are Back in Town!
I really love male models. One of them looks like Spock. And I wont lie, that little part of me that secretly wishes I was a Trekkie gets really excited when he comes in.
But I've always had a weakness for great eyebrows...
March 14
This girl is adorable. She's built a bit differently than a lot of our models - sloping shoulders and actual body mass; she's one of my favorites.
I've learned the trick to that class - I pick an easel that I can see both models with, so I can draw whichever pose/model I like.
It makes me feel sneaky.
March 16 - in which gestures begin to resemble successful type gestures.
The left leg on this model (our right) apparently looked funny. I didn't know...
Although I apologize for not fixing the hand before photographing - but It's getting dark and I'm lazy :)
SCARY FACE GESTURES!!!!
March 23 - Face Day
My lovely friend Arielle came with me to this class (because she was both awesome and in the same state as me simultaneously - which was literally a dream come true) and although we were initally disappointed that we didn't get to draw full body - we had plenty of fun tackling the human head.
Some close up nose/mouth/whatever.
I had a little time to work with this one, and I like the result.
p.s. this is how that model looks --- although I made have made her nose a little long...
Anyway - there you go! A month of Figure drawing, exactly!
The boys were both about 20 miles tall, and maybe a foot around...maybe.
It was ridiculously fun.
Not that I don't appreciate the girls who model for us - I think they're spectacular (for the most part - as a side note, haven't seen Miss Stick-Bug in a month!)
But having guy models have us a whole new experience!
And, let's face it - I'm a girl - I'm pretty familiar with the whole female body situation.
Males? Not so much.
MARCH!!!! [2nd] - in which Rachel decides to stop doing huge gestures...
...It helps.
This next one's a little freaky, I know... but when her eyes are in shadow and I only get so much time...i'm not going to waste it drawing tiny little eyes in there...
March 7th
This was a good gesture day. Which is a nice change, because usually my teacher looks apologetically at me before we start gestures (or revert to them during class time) because i tend to suck at them. But, I'm getting better.
I went into Professer Hull the next week after I talked to Barrett, and he said I can do gestures whatever size works best.
Which is good news, because this way I use less paper, and have decent results as opposed to pages of failure...
This girl can bend! She's one of my favorite models.
I like this next one... I feel like theres a story that goes along with it.
March 9th - The Boys are Back in Town!
I really love male models. One of them looks like Spock. And I wont lie, that little part of me that secretly wishes I was a Trekkie gets really excited when he comes in.
But I've always had a weakness for great eyebrows...
March 14
This girl is adorable. She's built a bit differently than a lot of our models - sloping shoulders and actual body mass; she's one of my favorites.
I've learned the trick to that class - I pick an easel that I can see both models with, so I can draw whichever pose/model I like.
It makes me feel sneaky.
March 16 - in which gestures begin to resemble successful type gestures.
The left leg on this model (our right) apparently looked funny. I didn't know...
Although I apologize for not fixing the hand before photographing - but It's getting dark and I'm lazy :)
SCARY FACE GESTURES!!!!
March 23 - Face Day
My lovely friend Arielle came with me to this class (because she was both awesome and in the same state as me simultaneously - which was literally a dream come true) and although we were initally disappointed that we didn't get to draw full body - we had plenty of fun tackling the human head.
Some close up nose/mouth/whatever.
I had a little time to work with this one, and I like the result.
p.s. this is how that model looks --- although I made have made her nose a little long...
Anyway - there you go! A month of Figure drawing, exactly!
Love the title!
ReplyDeleteLove the pteradactyl chick!
Very cool how you use shading to define shape and contours. I didn't notice Spock ears or eyebrows, but I'll take your word for it that you had a Spock for a model =)
Thank you for sharing...